When you’re a Los Angeles Kings fan, summer’s can be a long drawn out affair filled with other hockey teams playing for the Stanley Cup, re-playing the entire Kings season on your Xbox in Rookie mode and just lamenting on that simple phrase: “what if…”. We know, it sucks. We feel it too. That’s why we have, for you, some simple things that you can do to occupy your summer and get ready for next season…in October.
1. Read a Book – If you’re a crazed hockey fan who lives it day-in, day-out, there are a ton of great books out there that you can read. Check out Playing With Fire by Theo Fleury (Amazon Affiliate link). Read about the sex-crazed, drug-addicted boozer who tore up the National Hockey League for years. I challenge you to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and put the book down (you won’t be able to). Another great one is Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer by Bruce Bodreau (Amazon Affiliate link). You remember Bruce: a former head coach of the Manchester Monarchs and recent Jack Adams Award winner for the Washington Capitals. It’s an incredibly insightful book about a guy who lives and breathes hockey. He’s probably reading something as well at this moment.
2. Get Acquainted with Your 2010 Draftees – I know, in years past it was easy. You only had to get to know five or six guys because the Los Angeles Kings have drafted in the top five for the last three years. Fortunately, the time has passed for us to draft a “savior”. As of right now, the Kings will draft either 19th or 20th overall. So get yourselves familiar with players like Stanislav Galiev, Riley Sheahan and Tyler Pitlick. And, no, Dean Lombardi is not trading up to number one overall just because the draft is in Los Angeles.
3. Visit Toyota Sports Center – When it’s hot and the sun is shining and you’ve survived a month without a mention of Kings hockey, you can often get the shakes. That’s why it can be refreshing to throw on some shorts (maybe a jersey) and head on over to the LA Kings practice facility. We did. You can go inside, watch the midget Kings and scout potential standouts for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
4. Detoxify Your Liver – If you watch our show, you know that in those red plastic cups we drink from resides enough hard liquor to kill most of the sober population. We suggest that cramp on your left side isn’t just a cramp, it’s your liver crying for help. We suggest now is the time to give it some help. Have a glass of water. Drink some cranberry juice. Switch to beer. But, for saftey’s sake, perhaps 11 shots of Jagermeister in the middle of the summer is not going to get you healthy for training camp. Curb it.
5. Or You Can Just Get a Life – It’s the summer. The Los Angeles Kings are scattered across the globe relaxing, golfing and not thinking about hockey. Maybe you should too. If you’re marking the days off of your calendar until training camp starts, you might have a problem.
Then again, KingsCast will be here all summer with new shows and blogs. Yeah, we pretty much suck too.
So what do you do to keep your mind off of Kings hockey?